It’s All About the Little Things

I’ve been thinking about writing this post for awhile, and after yet another fantastic service move by my apartment staff a few days ago, I just couldn’t resist. You rarely hear about good customer service or an engaging staff at an apartment complex – but I’ve gotta hand it to the crew at the St Paul apartment I live in.  I’d like to share a few experiences that demonstrate the great service and engaging staff - and most importantly, why it matters.


Happy Hours
Every month the apartment staff hosts a community happy hour with free catered food, drinks, prizes and live music.  I’ve met a few other residents at these happy hours, but more importantly, I can meet and mingle with the community managers, leasing consultant and even the maintenance guys.  Happy hour may not seem like anything special – but they've enabled many of the great service experiences I’ve had.  The staff’s proactive approach to meeting and getting to know residents is no mistake, and as you’ll see, a very smart move.

Kiss Cam
A few months ago I was at a Minnesota Twins baseball game with my girlfriend and we made it on the Kiss Cam.  Despite the fact that she doesn’t like the spotlight, the online video of the moment remains on her family's "recently viewed" list.

  
The next day, I came home to a package inside my door.  I opened it to find a bag of Hershey’s Kisses and a hand-written note from the staff who happened to be at the same game!  Because they’d met me at the happy hours, they were able to identify me by face and deliver the sweets and note to my door. 

Mayday – Mayday
My roommate enjoys flying remote control airplanes and helicopters (I’m actually a decent pilot myself!) and often flies them in the courtyard at the center of our apartment complex.  A few weeks ago, an occasional and inevitable crash left the helicopter on top of the roof.  We contacted the office and told them where it was and they said they’d look for it.  A few days later we got a letter saying they're sorry but didn’t find it.  We considered the chopper a goner. 

But sure enough, last week we came home to a package inside our door with the helicopter inside!  Accompanying the helicopter was another hand written note.  Not only did they find the helicopter but they took the time to write a thoughtful letter to go with it. 


So Why Does This Matter?
Some of what the staff does is nothing more than standard community management – many apartments can and do provide great service.  What’s interesting to me, however, is how endearing these little extras are.  They didn’t have to look for the helicopter, or return it with a funny note.  They didn’t have to write a letter and buy me sweets when they saw me on the kiss cam.  They don’t have to host happy hours and try to get to know their residents - or leave candy behind whenever they complete maintenance work.  Point is – these seemingly small things add up fast and do matter. 

The application to your business and professional life should be obvious.  How can you do a little extra for your customers, employees or professional contacts?  You could send a customer a handwritten note, buy someone a gift just because, or surprise a co-worker with public kudos.

I can find hundreds of apartments (or businesses) that offer similar styles, amenities and prices – but it’s the little things that keep me calling 808 Berry home.

No comments:

Post a Comment